Friday 25 December 2009

Problem accessing network shares via VPN - Vista

Hi all,

I recently got a new laptop from work with Vista. I have set up a microsoft VPN connection to my workplace and can connect to it. I can ping the file and print server on the network, however, I cannot access the share. I have my home PC with XP and there everything works fine. It is therefore a setting in Windows Vista. Can anyone help me with this?

>>>

I can't say this will fix the problem but is fast and simple so worth a shot. Open the Local Security Policy, select Local Policies, Security Options. Look for Network Security LAN Manager Authenicate Level and change it to Set to Send LM & NTLM responses. Not sure I have everything worded a 100% correctly but that should get you there.
Good luck.

DNS
Try adding the domain as a DNS suffix on your Vista PC. Because your PC isn't part of the domain you will not be getting DNS from the domain server therefore (basically) you wont be able to access shares.

1.) open regedit
2.) find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\netbt\Linkage
3.) copy the value of the bind entry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\smb\Linkage
4.) reboot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933468

No comments:

Post a Comment